Edinburgh hotel pays compensation over shower scalding death

Extracted from article on BBC News. Read full article here

“The family of a tourist who died after being scalded in an Edinburgh hotel shower has received an apology and compensation from the owners. 

Kalyani Uthaman, 59, from India had been on holiday in Scotland in August 2012 when she was severely scalded at the Premier Inn in Newcraighall. She suffered multiple organ failure and died in hospital weeks later. Her family sued for a six-figure sum to pay hospital fees. The hotel’s owners said it was “an isolated incident”. Their lawyer argued the hotel failed in its duty of care by not having fitted a thermostatic mixing valve to regulate water temperature.”

Read full article here


We understand that maintaining consistent high safety & quality standards is vitally important in the Hospitality sector in order to help preserve your reputation and position in the marketplace. We understand that your focus needs to be in ensuring customer expectations are exceeded so they will want to return again and again; ZetaSafe can help to ensure that compliance failures do not compromise all that hard work.devices-small

Zetasafe can be used by hotels that need to comply with water regulation and legionella /water hygiene as well as other areas of compliance. ZetaSafe makes all of your critical data easily accessible,  and any issues visible so that they can be corrected immediately, helping  to protect your customers, staff and reputation. Your records can be audited at any time and an electronic system such as ZetaSafe ensures that tasks are completed in accordance with your responsibilities.

As an efficient and effective compliance hub, ZetaSafe can release your time and resources, allowing you to focus more of your attention on creating the perfect guest experience

Comments are closed.